Act the First, Part I

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Act the First, Part I

Post by Kirin on Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:39 pm

Act I
It started out as a normal day. These types of stories normally do. Our heroes woke up, did their chores and spent most of the day training with their mentors. They ate, they rested and one of them even picked a bar fight. But even though it was a normal day, it was also a special day. Today was the last day they'd feel safe and secure, and today was the last day they'd be able to feel like they were only children.
The village that our heroes spent the last several years in was not very big, maybe a hundred people called it home. It sat at the base of a large mountain range and was surrounded by a natural forest. The buildings were a mix of stone and wood and the village's main street was lined with all the important professions one would expect. The blacksmith was a strong, stout dwarf whose leather apron was always singed and though he spoke gruffly he was well liked. An elf, lithe and graceful, ran the tannery, would often take off into the forests on the weekends and return with several deer, rams, or other creatures whose skins were useful. The innkeeper was always happy to see her return as she always gave him a good deal on the meat. A tiefling was the town seamstress, and she would would often make trips to the nearby city of Scarsdale and bring back various types of specialty cloths to keep her shop in business.
Along the main road were the town's three shrines. The first shrine that traveler's see upon entering the village is to St. Kiergaard, who answers the prayers of hunters and those who try to survive in the wilds of the worlds. Nearer to the craftsmen is the shrine to St. Hector, who is prayed to for God's intervention on the behalf of trade and tradesmen in general. At the base of the mountain, near the town elder's house where the road ends, lies the shrine to St. Desyuan, who is the saint of hidden knowledge. The village's elder, Alequoth, is the de facto leader but he delegates many of his duties so that he may spend his time settling the disputes that the villagers bring before him. He is a kind old man who cares for the people and is often seen visiting people's workplaces and finding out how he can help them. Often at the end of the day Alequoth can be found in the taproom of the tavern/inn enjoying a pint until he is asked several times to tell a story from his adventuring days. He eventually gives in and tells a tale of the Mythril Band and how great kings and lowly villagers alike had asked them for help and, if possible, aid was given. His tales were properly altered for the children he was narrating them to, always working in a moral, romanticizing appropriate events and sparing the gory details of combat.
----
After a long day of training the four teenagers finally get some sleep, but they are awoken quietly that night by their mentors. The mentors are looking a little haggard and breathing a little heavily by the time they reach their charges, the signs of battle. The heroes are told that they are supposed to see Alequoth and need to quietly prepare for a trip and to be ready for battle, the town is under attack. As the mentors lead their charges to a meeting spot for the separate groups to meet up, the sounds of battle can be heard nearby. Skarn Stormfist, the dwarven warlord, speaks up in his dwarven brogue, “As aye’m shur ye know, the village is under attack. We’ll be trying to snake (sneak) past all the tribble we can, but if we get split up then ye are t’get to da elder’s wit da greatest haste. D’nae worry ‘bout us, we’ll take on the biggest threats if’n they come, but ye’ve all bin trained t’defend yurselves an’ it may come t’that.” The other mentors nodded in agreement and Serena of the Forest shifted into a wolfs form before scouting their path.
About halfway to the elder’s house the party hears a peal of thunder. Everyone looks up to see three streaks of light flash across the starry sky before before sharply turning and homing in on the party’s present location. Kegan the firesoul genasi lets out a sharp curse before drawing his sword and turning to fair elven lady, “Sorry for the strong language Lady Yula, but they have Seekers. I thought we destroyed them all twenty years.” She already has her ornate scepter in hand and is looking for where the streaks will impact. “It’s alright, my old friend, in this circumstance I find your language to be quite appropriate.” She turns to the teenagers. “This is where we part ways for a little while. Get to the road and get to Alequoth’s as fast as you can. May God and the saints watch over you. Now get moving.”
As the teenagers cut beside the tailors workshop to get to the road they hear the impact of the “Seekers” and sounds of the ensuing battle. The road looks clear as the party gets to the end of the building and besides their mentors’ battle most of the combat sounds are in the opposite direction from the elder’s house. The way seems clear. The party continues up the road keeping to the edge of the road to try to hide in the shadows as much as possible.  But the party sees danger ahead.
Four ugly scarred goblins wielding short blades have spread out to block the road and attack anyone that tries to push past, and a fifth goblin is standing behind them with a spear in one hand and pack of javelins slung across his back. There’s a loud screech in something that must be a language as the goblins look at the party and smile. They start to move towards the party menacingly but never opening a spot to charge through.
<The battlefield is only bathed in dim light from the moon, so those without low-light vision are taking a -2 to attack rolls unless they are using a light source of their own. The hedges by the side of the road are difficult terrain so it takes 1 extra movement point to enter each square with hedges in them. The trees are impassable so you must go around them.>
<Initiatives>


Last edited by Kirin on Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:44 pm; edited 4 times in total

Kirin
Admin

Posts : 22
Join date : 2015-04-09

View user profile http://elementalevil.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Act the First, Part I

Post by DungeonMaster on Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:37 pm

Sartael pulls his hood over his head; between that and the mask, only his eyes can be seen; glowing green eyes.  [Sartael rolls a 19 for his Initiative!  He then adds half his level [0] and his DexMod... a big, fat, whopping... 0.]
avatar
DungeonMaster

Posts : 71
Join date : 2015-04-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Act the First, Part I

Post by Toshi on Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:04 am

Korash readies his longspear and glares at the creatures. [rolled 7+2+3= 12]

OOC: Everyone gets +2 to initiative as long as they're within 10 squares of me.
avatar
Toshi

Posts : 12
Join date : 2015-04-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Act the First, Part I

Post by Shadow Catterina Feelin13 on Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:08 pm

Shadow hands Sartael the staff and stated that she will shift into beast form (initiative 14+2=16)


Last edited by Shadow Catterina Feelin13 on Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
avatar
Shadow Catterina Feelin13

Posts : 8
Join date : 2015-04-26
Location : Angel's Fall

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Act the First, Part I

Post by Kirin on Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:24 pm

Elise readies her sword and creates a barely visible shield of force around her body. [Initiative: 16+2=18]
<Turn Order
Goblin Warrior
Sartael
Goblin Cutters
Goblin Blackblade
Elise
Shadow
Korash>
---
The javelin toting goblin at the back of the pack jogs up into Great Position in front of his sword wielding allies, grabs a javelin out of his sheaf and chucks it as hard as he can at the lightly armored gnome in front of him. [Move, Javelin @ Elise] The goblin curses as he lets it go, knowing that he should have waited a moment longer. The javelin flies flat and skips off the ground 10 feet in front of his target before it eventually finds its way into the hedges at the side of the road.
<My laptop died before I could update the map, the warrior is now in the middle of the street in front of the first rank of goblin cutters.>


Last edited by Kirin on Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:25 pm; edited 2 times in total

Kirin
Admin

Posts : 22
Join date : 2015-04-09

View user profile http://elementalevil.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Act the First, Part I

Post by DungeonMaster on Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:13 am

Sartael takes the staff from Shadow, but his attention is already elsewhere; he raises both hands and unleashes a mighty Imprecation against their enemies.  A peal of thunder shakes the heavens.  [Thunder of Judgement against the Leader & the 2 foremost goblins;  12+3 = 15 vs Fortitude.]
avatar
DungeonMaster

Posts : 71
Join date : 2015-04-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Act the First, Part I

Post by Kirin on Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:37 am

Sartael slams his staff into the ground three times. Each time he does a quick peal of thunder erupts near one of the goblins. The two sword wielding goblins brace themselves for the thunder but are surprised when the thunder rolls over them ineffectively. The spear wielding goblin withstands the brunt of the attack but gets pushed back and looks out of it. [9 damage, the warrior is dazed and pushed back one space]
---
The little goblins march forward and stop by the in front of the walkway to the tannery. They growl threateningly and stab their swords toward the sky putting on a show of force and aggression.
Elise moves forward to engage the goblins but is surprised when a hidden goblin jumps out of a tree and runs to a great position to attack her. The goblin draws his short sword on the run and slashes Elise in the back. [Blackblade moves, attacks Elise (hit, 7 damage)]. Elise sucks in a breath and weaves her sword in the air, targeting the 4 goblins around her.[Sword of Sigils: 2 cutters hit, cutter and blackblade miss]. Red swords form in the air and drop down to spear her enemies striking two and missing two. The two goblins struck by the arcane swords fall to the ground, their heartsblood staining the road. She turns to the sneaky goblin and proclaims to him, "You shall not touch my friends!" [Minor: Aegis of Protection on blackblade]

Kirin
Admin

Posts : 22
Join date : 2015-04-09

View user profile http://elementalevil.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Act the First, Part I

Post by Shadow Catterina Feelin13 on Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:08 pm

Shadow runs up to the enemy on the far right and swipes at it with her claws (20+4=24 to hit) (4+8=12dmg) the enemy is now slowed
avatar
Shadow Catterina Feelin13

Posts : 8
Join date : 2015-04-26
Location : Angel's Fall

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Act the First, Part I

Post by Toshi on Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:44 pm

Korash closes behind Elise and Attacks Blackblade with a Viper's Strike (18+5+2=25 to hit, 10+5=15 dmg) jabbing the spear at the creature and calling out to Shadow "Kill the bastard it if it moves again". (it will give an attack of opportunity to shadow if it moves).


Last edited by Toshi on Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:07 pm; edited 3 times in total
avatar
Toshi

Posts : 12
Join date : 2015-04-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Act the First, Part I

Post by Kirin on Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:28 pm

Korash's spear tip pierces the eyes of the goblin blackblade and he falls back onto the road, blood leaking from his face and wound he gained from Shadow's vicious slash.
--
The dazed warrior pulls another javelin out of his sheaf and reaches back, preparing to throw. He mutters something in goblin and wrenches the javelin forward, giving it all he's got. [Javelin @ Elise, 9 vs AC, Fail] The javelin overshoots its target and goes skipping down the road.

Kirin
Admin

Posts : 22
Join date : 2015-04-09

View user profile http://elementalevil.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Act the First, Part I

Post by DungeonMaster on Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:50 pm

Sartael raises his hand, chanting  - the hand begins to glow fiercely.  As his hand reaches its apex, the Radian light arcs out and forward.  Now taken the form of 'hands of light', each of them strikes a different opponent. [Hand of Radiance - the Warrior is hit with 19 vs Reflex for d4+3 Radiant, left cutter hit by 20 for d4+3, right cutter missed by 7.]
---
One beam of light impacts the dazed goblin warrior, sparks shatter across his leather armor. Once the sparks clear a visible blood can be seen leaking through the leather. [7 damage, bloodied] Another beam strikes the leftmost goblin cutter and sparks shoot up again, a moment later his cooling corpse can be seen. The last beam heads at the last goblin cutter who nimbly dodges out of the way.
avatar
DungeonMaster

Posts : 71
Join date : 2015-04-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Act the First, Part I

Post by Kirin on Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:39 pm

The goblin cutter looks around and see that he and the warrior are the only ones left. For perhaps the first time in his life he has a smart idea and moves back cautiously before turning tail and running away.
---
Elise moves forward about 10 feet and looks at the injured goblin. She points at him and shouts "Come here." A lightning whip springs forth from her hand and wraps around the goblins ankle and pulls him directly in front of her, electrocuting him all the while. [Lightning Lure: 23 vs Fort, 11 dmg] When he gets in front her she grins at him menacingly, "You're mine now!" [Aegis of Shielding]. The goblin starts trembling in fear and a puddle starts forming at his feet.

Kirin
Admin

Posts : 22
Join date : 2015-04-09

View user profile http://elementalevil.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Act the First, Part I

Post by Shadow Catterina Feelin13 on Tue May 05, 2015 9:55 pm

Shadow shifts out of beast form and moves 7 spaces then uses her at will power thorn whip (wis vs fort 20 to hit for 5 dmg and the goblin gets pulled back) the goblin in front of Elise attempts to attack shadowand misses
avatar
Shadow Catterina Feelin13

Posts : 8
Join date : 2015-04-26
Location : Angel's Fall

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Act the First, Part I

Post by Toshi on Wed May 06, 2015 12:11 am

Korash closes the distance stopping just behind Elise then strikes the goblin with his spear (15+2+5=22, for 9+5=14 dmg). Again he hits the creature in the eye felling it. Despite the fatality of the blow he tells Elise to hit it if it moves (attack of opportunity for her, Viper's strike again).


Realizing that the creature is dead, Korash calls out to his companions for status updates. "Anybody hurt besides Elise?" Then looking at Elise he adds "If it can wait I'll patch you up once we're at the elder's house."
avatar
Toshi

Posts : 12
Join date : 2015-04-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Act the First, Part I

Post by DungeonMaster on Wed May 06, 2015 8:01 am

Sartael reaches up and removes his hood as soon as the last goblin fell - his face is pale and his expression is blank.  A strange green light trickles from his eyes, slowly fading as he stares intently at the horizon.  His face is wet with sweat, though he hardly moved throughout the fight.

   Within a few seconds, his normal (neutral) expression returns to his face.  "I'm fine", he responds to Korash's question.  He steps forward to the nearest goblin and quickly checks it over, making sure it is dead before collecting any valuables (most likely, only the weapon) and possible clues.
avatar
DungeonMaster

Posts : 71
Join date : 2015-04-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Act the First, Part I

Post by Kirin on Wed May 06, 2015 2:28 pm

Elise sheathes her sword and drops her magical protections and takes out a clean piece of linen and begins wrapping it around her midsection over the shallow wound on her back. "Thanks for the concern, Korash, but I've suffered far worse than that in training accidents." She ties off the linen in a cute little bow and looks at it, a little embarrassed. She checks out the goblin at her feet, looking at its gear. "Blegh, we'd be lucky to get a gold piece for all of this stuff. Might as well leave it here the villagers may have some use for it to get away safely." The sounds of the mentors battle with the Seekers still continue in the near distance.

Kirin
Admin

Posts : 22
Join date : 2015-04-09

View user profile http://elementalevil.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Act the First, Part I

Post by Kirin on Mon May 11, 2015 8:36 am

After the short brutal conflict, the party makes their way up the small road to the elder’s house. Most of the buildings near the side of the road are stone walled one story buildings, but a few of them have grown wood walled additions or second stories. As the teenagers move farther up the path away from the city center, the sounds of battle grow quieter. They approach the elder’s little cottage at the base of the mountain and see four horses fully saddled up and ready to go. They also see a large pile of dark clothed figures, the smell of blood and filth wafting off the corpses is quite powerful and the horses are pulling on their tethers to get as far away from the smell as possible.
The large oaken door to the elder’s house opens and Alequoth steps out. His robe is fastened securely over his nightwear with a belt and he’s covered in blood from head to toe. Even though he is covered in blood, the bastard sword that he’s carrying in his right hand is not showing any knicks or dings or even a single speck of blood along its long, wide blade. He speaks up. “Good thing you’re not very stealthy or I would have taken you for the enemy,” he says with his usual cheer-filled smile. As you look at him closer, though, you notice something scary about his eyes that you’ve never noticed before. “I have a very important mission for you. I need you to ride straight down the road to Scarsdale and report to the Commander of the Guard, one Captain Grant, and give him the missive you’ll find in your saddlebags. If any of the guard tries to stop you, show them this.” He holds out his left hand and offers them each a silvery ring. The ring glistens in the moonlight and even seems to emit a small amount of light on its own.

Kirin
Admin

Posts : 22
Join date : 2015-04-09

View user profile http://elementalevil.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Act the First, Part I

Post by DungeonMaster on Tue May 12, 2015 3:30 pm

Sartael reaches out and takes a ring like all the others, putting it on then replacing his white gloves.  [Most of his 'garb' is that of a novice of Saint Luminous; heavy boots, a belted robe, mantle and peaked hood - all in heavy white cloth over some form of mail.]  He steps back, eyes the assembled horses with narrowed eyes, then selects the nearest one and checks the saddlebags.  Finding his copy of the Missive, he tucks it into his robes. 
   Taking the reins, he leads the horse around to a nearby stump (to improve his obviously-amateurish attempt to mount). As he passes the Elder, he makes the sign of St. Lumious' blessing [hand held up palm-first, index & middle finger extended up] to the bloody old man.
avatar
DungeonMaster

Posts : 71
Join date : 2015-04-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Act the First, Part I

Post by Toshi on Wed May 13, 2015 8:54 am

Korash grabs his ring and puts it on, thanking the old man for it and giving him a reevaluating look. Then he walks over to the horses and finds the biggest one before mounting up.Once on his horse he rolls his shoulders then gets his spear ready in case they run into any unpleasantness on the road.
"Elder Alequoth, what are the chances we run into more of these creatures on the road?"
avatar
Toshi

Posts : 12
Join date : 2015-04-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Act the First, Part I

Post by Shadow Catterina Feelin13 on Sat May 16, 2015 10:11 am

Shadow hugs the elder and says "We'll get the job done grampa." She then smiles darkly at the pile of bodies "nice". She pets the horses muzzle "good girl, pretty girl." Shadow puts on her ring and takes her copy of the missive and tucks it back into the pouch on the horse whom she dubs Persephone from now on(if Carey allows).
avatar
Shadow Catterina Feelin13

Posts : 8
Join date : 2015-04-26
Location : Angel's Fall

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Act the First, Part I

Post by Kirin on Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:49 am

Alequoth bends down as Elise steps up to claim the last ring. She grabs the ring and bows to the old man. Alequoth turns to Korash, “Pretty high, I imagine. Their strategist seems to be fairly competent even if the quality of a large chunk of their forces are pretty high. Given what I’ve seen so far, I’d expect more goblins on the road riding a fast predator, wolves probably, to pick off any runners. I’ve watched you all since you arrived and I feel I know you about as well as you know yourselves. Work together and you will not fail in your mission.”


As Alequoth is talking to Korash, Elise walks up to her horse and pats it on the haunch, “Easy girl,” she whispers softly, “Easy.” She takes several large steps back before taking a deep breath. She sprints directly at the equine and leaps to the saddle (Athletcs: 20!+7= 27). Elise grabs the horn on the saddle as she almost jumps over the horse. She quickly grabs the reins with the other hand as she lands in the saddle and gains control of her mount.


He turns to address the group as a whole, “I’ll try to hold them off until you return but if I cannot then we have an escape route planned. I dare not speak of it openly, who knows what ears abound, but I have faith that you will be able to find us. Now, to Scarsdale, and may the wind be at your back.”

With that the group wheels their mounts toward the main road.

Kirin
Admin

Posts : 22
Join date : 2015-04-09

View user profile http://elementalevil.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Escape from the Village

Post by Kirin on Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:05 pm

The young party wheels their horses around and prepare for the trip through town, through the forest, to Scarsdale to inform them of the attack and bring forces to aid them. The buildings begin to fly by once the horses get up to speed at a full gallop. Off to the side of the road a couple of goblins are dragging out a makeshift barricade to bar the path for the horses but they are just moments too slow as the horses run past. The forest path rapidly approaches as two more goblins, each one riding a wolf, appear from an alley and give chase. As you reach the forest’s edge you can barely see more barricades off in the dim light. The goblins are attempting to keep you from getting past. The thick forest on either side of the path looks overgrown and impossible to move the horses through at anything greater than a walk. <Roll Initiative>


Notes on this encounter
The map scale is increased by 10 and time passes by in minutes instead of 6 second rounds.
Multiple characters may be in the same square.
Powers with a range of less than 10 can only be used on targets in the same square as you, those with a range of 10 to 19 can be used on targets in adjacent squares, and so on and so forth. When exiting a square with a mounted enemy you provoke an attack of opportunity.
While on horseback, diagonal movement uses the 1-2-1 systems (i.e. one movement for the first time you move diagonally, 2 movement the second time, 1 movement the third and so on). With more familiarity of horses this may return to the standard 1-1-1 diagonal movement.


The horses move 6 squares per turn. On the map are barricades that have been set up by goblin scouts. If you wish to get the horse to jump them it requires success on a nature check from you and then the horse needs to succeed on a Strength check. If the horse fails to make the jump you may be dismounted and (worst case scenario) the horse might run off. If you don’t wish to jump the barricade you may squeeze past it (requires one extra movement).


Remember, you need only escape the goblins.



Kirin
Admin

Posts : 22
Join date : 2015-04-09

View user profile http://elementalevil.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Act the First, Part I

Post by Kirin on Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:33 pm

I forgot to mention there are two goblins rwo squares behind the party.

Turn order is as follows: Korrash, Shadow, Sartael, goblins, Elise. Feel free to ask any questions you have.

Kirin
Admin

Posts : 22
Join date : 2015-04-09

View user profile http://elementalevil.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Act the First, Part I

Post by Toshi on Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:59 pm

Korash rides forward without breaking pace until grid F-6, then pulls diagonally through the first gap to G-7. As he cuts diagonally he lets loos with a burst of lightning (Dragon Breath), hitting the barricades at F-8 and G-8, blasting an existing gap a little wider.
avatar
Toshi

Posts : 12
Join date : 2015-04-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Act the First, Part I

Post by Shadow Catterina Feelin13 on Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:24 pm

Shadow follows suit and moves up(to square F6) to attack the other baracade(12 to hit[11+1vs ac]) with her staff. "These things are annoying!"
avatar
Shadow Catterina Feelin13

Posts : 8
Join date : 2015-04-26
Location : Angel's Fall

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Act the First, Part I

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum